Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sewing Goals for 2011

In 2010 I made something like 17 garments for myself (and several more for others) and I would like to make at least 25 in 2011. I hope to keep the following goals in mind as I sew.    

1. Sew more bottoms! 2010 was the unofficial Year of the Blouses and so now I want to focus on creating shorts, skirts, and pants that fit me well.  I have the hardest time buying ready-to-wear pants so this should be a very satisfying goal to work on. 

2. Sew at least one coat/jacket. I've never made one and I'll probably start with a spring raincoat.

3. Take time to make muslins. My excitement for starting a new project always overcomes the practicality of first testing the fit of the pattern with a muslin. This has recently led to a very disappointing Birthday Dress UFO (unfinished object).       

4. Learn more advanced techniques and select projects that challenge me. Some skills to master: bound buttonholes, welt pockets, flat-felled seams,   

5. Create clothes that thoughtfully complement my existing wardrobe. I tend to be inspired by crazy fabric (ahem, Lobster Shirt) and so my wardrobe is full of rather unique statement pieces. I want to spend time making more wearable everyday basics and thinking about how they can be worn in different combinations. This will be especially tough for me because if given the chance I would wear and make full-skirted party dresses all day, every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment