Monday, September 26, 2011

Purple Maxi Dress

As a vertically challenged woman I never thought that I could pull off a maxi dress but this dress has changed my mind!

Don't mind the weird kitty in the background!  The purple cotton lawn has a crazy print that obstructs the construction details of Butterick 5490 like the pleating at the bodice and skirt.  The bodice is lined in plain white cotton batiste and zips up the back.   
The unlined skirt is light and flowy and makes me feel like a million bucks. :)  Maxi dresses aren't so scary after all!  

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Static Sencha Blouse

This is my second blouse made from Colette's Sencha pattern.  Version 1 is a very simple top that showcases the interesting fabric (teal, black & white ikat cotton lawn from Denver Fabrics). 

The back closes with five white buttons:

The hand stitching around the sleeve hems and back edges is fun to do for a change.  The white thread at the bottom hem looks a little weird so I might redo it with black.  At any rate, I'm hoping that this will be a good addition to my work wardrobe!      

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Navy Cynthia Rowley Dress

Pattern used was View B of Simplicity 2497 (a Cynthia Rowley design).   This looks MUCH better in person (not so shiny). 

Instead of using a contrast fabric I used purchased red piping to outline the yoke, waistband, and sleeves. Oh boy did this cause a lot of swearing!  The piping had to be hand basted onto the seam allowance and then carefully machine sewn with my zipper foot.

Seven Dollar Sheath Dress

I made this dress last minute to wear to a lovely summer wedding.  The whole thing cost me only $7 in supplies!

Pattern I used was Simplicity 2588 ($1.99 on sale from Jo-Ann)
Fabric was about 2 yards of brown and ecru lace-print poly sateen ($1.99/yard from Fabric Mart)
Zipper and interfacing was from my stash (free-ish)
Buttons from Ben Franklin ($1.00)

I usually don't sew specifically with the intent to save money but this is a great example of how home sewing can save a buck.

I loved that the pattern included pockets hidden in the front pleats of the skirt--no need to carry a purse!  The bride told me that I looked "very Jackie O." in the dress and I suppose that it does have a 1960's vibe.  I will definitely be making a variation from this pattern again.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011


I hate wearing shorts but I decided to try making a pair using this BurdaStyle pattern. They are pleated in the front, pocketless, and zip up the side. The tiny blue and cream stripes gave me a headache while I was sewing!
Front of shorts
Back of shorts
Detail of front pleats

Bella helping with the photos

Now I just have to wait for warm weather to see if I'll actually wear them!

Marie Skirt in Blue

I gave the Marie pattern another try. This time I used a blue and white cotton canvas and didn't line it.
 Delphine is wearing it with the Green Slouchy Blouse because I was too lazy to take it off but I kind of like them together. The dark blue goes with many colors (sort of like denim) and so I have a feeling that this skirt will get lots of wear this spring and summer!

Green Slouchy Blouse

Last Tuesday was brought to you by the letter "B"! I made a blouse and baked breads. :) This blouse pattern was not my favorite. It came out looking like a uniform smock or something. The pattern is Burdastyle's slouchy blouse and the fabric is an iridescent cotton woven with tiny green and yellow flowers. The style would probably be more flattering if it was made in a fabric with more drape like a silk or rayon.  

Detail of buttoned sleeve tabs

Detail of collar
It looks much better when worn tucked into a skirt or pants.
Fresh baked boule

English muffins!