Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Karl Lagerfeld Ruby Skirt

I finished this skirt today after a lot of swearing:

 I used the Karl Lagerfeld pattern available on Burdastyle and some red polyester suiting. It has elastic in the back, in-seam side pockets and fake front pocket flaps. I omitted the front zip because I wanted to reduce bulk in the tummy area. I also added 2 inches to the length because other sewists had warned that this was a very short skirt. They must be a lot taller than I am because those 2 extra inches were not necessary! I am still deciding whether to take it apart and shorten it....

This is a close-up of the fake pocket flaps and the fabric-covered buttons I made. Making the buttons was definitely my favorite part of this project!
An overexposed photo of the button-covering in progress on the ole ironing board!

My frustration with this project was mostly due to the fabric I chose. I had to be very careful not to melt the poly when ironing the hem turn-up and front pleats. If you make this skirt please use natural fibers like cotton, silk, or wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment