I made this "tulip" skirt using BurdaStyle's Marie pattern (available as a free download from their site). The fabric is a cream colored stretch cotton jacquard that was a part of a free 10 yard mystery bundle promotion from Fabric Mart Fabrics. While the pattern does not call for a lining I added one using a piece of mauve acetate that was also included in my free fabric bundle. Now the skirt fabric won't stick to my legs velcro-style when I wear it with tights! This skirt was basically free to make (the zipper, interfacing, thread, and hook-and-eye were purchased but already in my sewing room so I am pretending they don't count).
This was sort of a success. I would recommend this pattern to a beginner because it is literally the same front and back, making it simple to cut out and to assemble. It's not the best look on me because I feel it's a bit bulky in the waist and the cream color is more for spring (I can just hear my grandmother reminding me about white and Memorial Day...) but I'm going to rock it anyway with black tights, black patent booties and a black long sleeved embellished t-shirt! If I'm going to break Grammy's fashion rules then I might as well make the offending garment front and center. :)
A Good Learning Experience
This was the first Burda skirt pattern I have made and I was not sure which size to select. I made a 40 and it is way too big to sit at my natural waist. I will alter this skirt some day when I'm in the mood. When I made my next skirt from a Burda pattern I cut a 38 and the fit was much better (I haven't blogged about that one yet because it has been hanging for a few weeks to let the bias stretch before I hem it). I also reached a milestone with this Marie skirt--my first invisible zipper to be properly installed on the first attempt! I did a little happy dance.
|Successful invisible zipper!|